Conference at the University of Agder, Norway, September 2-4 2013
Organizers: Frida Forsgren and Michael J. Prince
Keynote Speakers: Mary Kerr and Polina Mackay
Papers and panel proposals are sought for a three-day conference on women and the Beat Generation. We encourage submissions on all aspects of this topic, including the role of women writers in the Beat movement and the representation of women in the works of Beat authors. Submissions on art and film are especially welcome. Other suggested topics include, but are not limited to:
- narratives of gender and sexuality in the work of women of the Beat Generation
- the Beat movement and Feminism
- the influence of female literary tradition on the Beat Generation
- experimentalism in the work of female Beats
- aesthetic dialogues between male and female Beat writers
- visual culture and Beat women
- the work of female Beat artists, filmmakers or photographers
- the influence of art and film on the work of Beat women
- the significance of life-writing
- films by and about women of the Beat Generation
- women and publishing, editing and non-fiction writing
The deadline for submission of abstracts is December 15, 2013. Please send your abstracts to Frida Forsgren at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Joyce Johnson is best-known for her 1983 memoir, Minor Characters, which focuses on the ye...
On this blog, we've previously discussed the surprisingly difficult question of what the B...
Burroughs: The Movie at the ICA from PINBALL LONDON on Vimeo.
When we interviewed Ann Charters in our current issue, Beatdom Eleven, she brought up the ...
In this first episode of the Beatdom Podcast, your host, David S. Wills, talks with Charle...
In Paris in the late Fifties the Beat Generation writer William Burroughs developed the ...